Thursday 10 August 2017

State Library of Queensland visit

I have just spent a wonderful few days in Brisbane to help kick off the Unlock the Past roadshow, entitled Researching Abroad. On Tuesday and Wednesday we had over a 140 people in attendance to listen to talks from myself, Dirk Weissleder, Helen Smith, Geoff Doherty from Genealogical Society of Queensland, Tony and Ann Swain from Queensland Family History Society, and Kirsten Perris from the State Library of Queensland.

Yesterday (Thursday), Rosemary and Eric Kopittke very kindly took us on a visit to the State Library of Queensland (www.slq.qld.gov.au), where we once again caught up with Kirsten, who gave us a brief overview of the family history resources at the library, including microfilm copies of newspapers to the present day, digitised newspapers and other resources via TROVE (http://trove.nla.gov.au), and considerably more. I was incredibly impressed with the set-up, and let's face it, with Brisbane as a whole - what a wonderful place to live and to carry out research, and not just because its winter is like my Scottish summer!!!  Thanks to everyone there for the wonderful hospitality, I'll hopefully be back again soon one day!

Next up, we are currently en route to Auckland for the Family History Expo over the weekend, which I am looking forward to immensely, this being only my second ever visit to New Zealand. In the meantime, here are some images from our state library visit yesterday!















Chris

My next 5 week Scottish Research Online course commences Sept 11th 2017 - details at www.pharostutors.com/details.php?coursenumber=102. For my genealogy guide books, visit http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/p/my-books.html, whilst details of my research service are at www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk. Further content is also published daily on The GENES Blog Facebook page at www.facebook.com/BritishGENES.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you got to see our wonderful State Library as well as many other places..I have included your blog in INTERESTING BLOGS in FRIDAY FOSSICKING at

    https://thatmomentintime-crissouli.blogspot.com/2017/08/friday-fossicking-18th-august-2017.html

    Thank you, Chris

    ReplyDelete