Friday 18 August 2017

Researching Abroad roadshow report - Parramatta

We’ve just finished the Sydney part of our roadshow tour, with both Dirk Weissleder and I speaking at the Parramatta RSL, along with Unlock the Past’s Eric and Rosemary Kopittke, Kerry Farmer on DNA, and the Society of Australian Genealogists’ very own Heather Garnsey (see http://www.unlockthepast.com.au/events/researching-abroad-british-isles-european-ancestors-sydney). We had a massively warm reception - a huge thanks to all who attended! Along the way I managed to also catch up with a recent client, whose research report I emailed just a few weeks back prior to my leaving Scotland for the tour, so it was great to catch up and discuss the next steps ahead to continue the research. The following are pictures from the event…







This was my third visit to Parramatta’s RSL (an RSL is an armed forces veterans association), and I decided on this occasion that I actually needed to see some of the place, as in the past our visits have essentially been genealogical talk based hit and run raids! At lunchtime on my second day there I decided to leave the RSL building and visit the nearby Old Government House, where former New South Wales governor Lachlan MacQuarrie (originally from Ulva, by Mull, Scotland) lived for eleven years with his wife Elizabeth, from 1810-1821. Parramatta was essentially where the first major New South Wales convict colony was established in 1788, and the building itself had seen many changes and extensions before and during MacQuarrie’s time.

The following are some pictures of the location, well worth a visit if you come to Sydney.








Thanks to all who made us so welcome – next stop, Melbourne…!

Chris

My next 5 week Scottish Research Online course commences Sept 11th 2017 - details at www.pharostutors.com/details.php?coursenumber=102. For my genealogy guide books, visit http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/p/my-books.html, whilst details of my research service are at www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk. Further content is also published daily on The GENES Blog Facebook page at www.facebook.com/BritishGENES.

No comments:

Post a Comment