Sunday 13 August 2017

Auckland Family History Expo - report

I've just spent the last three days in Auckland, New Zealand, for the Auckland Family History Expo, a main event of the Kiwi based Family History Month celebrations - and what an event! Organised by Seonaid Lewis and her team at Auckland City Libraries, in partnership with the New Zealand Society of Genealogists, the event started with an opening evening gathering on Friday, followed by two full days of talks and workshops, as well as the 'shopfloor' display of exhibitors and vendors. I gave seven talks in total including the opening keynote on Friday, and also held a workshop with a group of small but perfectly formed beginners key to learn the basics of UK and Irish family history research! In addition I had many one to ones with folk seeking specific advice on brick wall problems.

During the weekend I got to meet many new friends, including Andy Fenton, managing director of New Zealand Micrographics (www.micrographics.co.nz), genealogist Fiona Brooker (www.memoriesintime.co.nz), Kae Lewis, who has created a database of Cork based Protestants from 1650-1850 at www.CorkRecords.com, and many more. In addition I managed to catch up with many current friends, not least the magnificent Jan Gow QSM from Beehive Books!

A great event, some great memories to take away, and all kudos to Seonaid and her team for a superbly run event! Today I head to Sydney, where Dirk and I will be speaking at Parammata oer the next two days - details at http://www.unlockthepast.com.au/events/researching-abroad-british-isles-european-ancestors-sydney.

Thanks Auckland, and in particular to my wonderful hosts for the event, Bryn and Lindsay Smith! Some pics from the event...

















My next 5 week Scottish Research Online course commences Sept 11th 2017 - details at www.pharostutors.com/details.php?coursenumber=102. For my genealogy guide books, visit http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/p/my-books.html, whilst details of my research service are at www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk. Further content is also published daily on The GENES Blog Facebook page at www.facebook.com/BritishGENES.

No comments:

Post a Comment